Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Home Stretch

So,  I haven't posted in like 3 weeks, woops!  Going back to work after Christmas break has been an adjustment and I think things are settling down a little bit.  I decided I would update about how the pregnany is going!

My baby is growing!!  Maybe the next post will be an announcement about the gender, I keep forgetting we haven't put it up here or on Facebook, so many friends from outta town don't know yet!  In the past few weeks, I am so surprised every time I look in the mirror at how many new stretch marks I have!  I haven't been the best at puttin the cocoa butter on, and I know eventually, as I have more kids, the stretch marks would come anyway.  It's something that I myself cannot be worried about and I'm OK with that.  This is my new life!  With stretch marks come some crazy muscle pains, what is called "round ligament pains".  Man oh man, I feel like the muscles in my pelvic area are being pulled like rubber bands.  It hurts most when I've been sitting for a while and I get up too quick.  This baby, as all babies I think, is also putting a lot of pressure on my bladder.  Just walking around can be painful!  I am also losing my sense of balance, which is normal, too.  We went to the doc this past Thursday and I found out I've gained about 20 pounds total, which I'm a little self-conscious about.  I don't FEEL 20 pounds heavier.  Obviously the bulk of weight is in the tummy area too,but I know my hips are also a lil bigger, which is no surprise for my body type! 

Something else that has been happening is that my right hand has been falling asleep at night and I wake up in pain.  I will shake it out, but it goes right back to sleep.  Then when I wake up and am getting ready for the day, I notice that its not so much asleep but when I go to grab something, I feel pain and tingling.  Our midwife said that I probably have carpel tunnel!  I honestly just chalked it up to "poor circulation" but I guess in pregnancy the carpel tunnel nerve that runs down our arm and into our rest, like other things, can become swollen thus causing problems.  Crazy!  So if it gets worse I may be sleeping with a splint, but we'll see. It's just another of those things that surpises me about my pregnant body. 

In a couple weeks we will start our series of Childbirth prep classes.  I'm excited and think it will make things more real.  I'm really excited to start getting Attila more involved by helping me with learning relaxation methods, as we are going to try for a natural childbirth (i.e. no epidural, pitocin, etc.).  Don't worry, if needed we will be in a hospital, so if things need to be induced or an emergency happens, I understand that its ok.  But they will try to be avoided and our midwife is trained in natural childbirth.  As much as I can be scared about experiencing all that pain, I have a feeling that it will be a very good journey for me and my baby and my husband, one that will strengthen our family a whole lot.  If you know me well (like my parents and siblings know this) I don't do well with physical pain and discomfort.  I can be whiny and complainy.  Already, this pregnancy is forcing me outta that (slowly but surely) and I know this pregnancy and birth is going to sanctify me so that I may go outside of myself and unite myself to Our Lord.

Anyway, I could go on and on, but I am excited and getting more excited to meet our little one after this time of joyful (and somewhat penitential) time of anticipation!

No comments:

Post a Comment