Saturday, January 29, 2011

Prep time

We had our first childbirth preparation class this morning.  It was very different from what I imagined, ya know, the prep classes from all the shows, where you learn the "Lamaze" way of breathing.  Next week we will learn about breathing techinques and different positions to try, but this week we watched some videos and learned about the labor process in depth, while being able to answer questions.  I really enjoyed our nurse who taught us.  She offered a lot of insight and wisdom.  Attila and I both agreed it was really good to learn about the different stages of labor and what to expect for each one.  It brought our minds to ease, especially about when to know the right time of going to the hospital.  This week, we learned about what to expect in a natral childbirth and next week we will learn about all the "interventions" that can happen.  Our nurse really stressed that if you're choosing a natural childbirth, the critical time is the "transition" phase, when contractactions and pain can be the most intense. She said, honestly, this is when most moms say "I can't do this anymore!"  She stressed to talk with your "support person" (aka my hubby) before labor begins so they know if they need to talk you through this time or to listen to what you want in that moment and let the nurses know if pain meds can really be administered.   She said some moms who do ask for an epidural at this time will afterward say they wished they wouldn't have gotten one because it wasn't much longer till baby was born.  Many moms who do have a natural birth very quickly forget the pain and say "That wasn't so bad!" 

We watched a video of a couple's journey in labor and it was really inspiring.  The woman was very honest about her pain.  They checked her at one point and she was 5 cm dialated and she said, "Oh you have got to be kidding me, I can't do this anymore".  Her midwife and husband were great at talking her through it.  They also showed the techniques she and her husband used to cope with the pain of contractions, and it was really beautiful to watch them in such harmony.  Their communication was great and they worked really well together.  It was obvious that it wasn't an easy birth but it was a very positive experience for their whole family in the end.  I loved it!  At the beginning of the class, I was a little overwhelmed at how much my body is going to go through and how difficult it may be, but by the end, I was at ease and ready to begin the process of mentally, emotionally, and spiritually preparing myself for this labor and birth.  I learned that during the really hard times, I need to be dependant on my husband's support and his encouragement.  Once I am 7-8 cm dialated, it may be difficult, but I have to remember that it WILL be over soon and the end result is a baby!! 

I think we are going to start figuring out what kind of music we want to listen to during labor and I even want to think of ways we can pray throughout it all, too.  Ahh, we are so excited for this new adventure!!!

3 comments:

  1. they may have suggested this...but one thing I wish I had done last time was write out a list of different positions/ideas to try if you are trying to go natural. I'm giving the list to Chris so that he can help suggest new things when the pain starts to get really bad this time. Also I read that something for mom AND dad (the encourager)to think about is that each contraction is eventually OVER, so concentrating on one contraction at a time and just breathing through that ONE and then enjoy the little breaks (even if they are SHORT) helps. Good luck, Alycia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Husbands are great, but doulas are a great support for both of you. Husbands can get nervous, need a break, etc. and the doula can support and reassure both of you. Loved both of my doulas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really helped me when Joe watched the comp readout that was measuring my contractions, so he could tell me when the worst was over and they started relaxing. Also, the Divine Mercy chaplet works well with the timing of the breathing techniques.

    ReplyDelete