Sunday, July 17, 2011

Parenting

Now that our "teeny Valentiny" (who is not so teeny anymore) is here, I plan on using this blog to post about some of our ideas about parenting and education.  Especially now that James is developing so fast; almost everyday he hits new milestones and it is so exciting.  I love being attentive to how I can help all his areas of development.  Attila and I are totally invested in helping him grow to have complete trust and security with us so he has nothing to do but grow into a happy and whole person.  And by "whole person" I mean we will try our best to put all of our love and energy into who he is emotionally, intellectually, socially, and most of all spiritually.  We aren't perfect parents and never will be, but by the grace of God, he will grow up as part of a unified, peaceful, and safe family environment. 

My first installment of this is to introduce a style of parenting that Attila and I have sort of "adopted".  I am going to include a link that can explain it better then I can.  It's called "Attachment Parenting".  It really is just a starting point for T and I as parents, we'll see where we go with it through out our life.  We're most attracted to the idea of listening to your child's needs and getting to know them the best we can.  It encourages listening to your own instincts as a parent, and not what others tell you you should be doing. Like I said, we're totally invested in our child and this is an extension of our hearts desires.  If you're curious, check out the link, and don't hesitate to ask questions.  Don't be turned off by the name of the style of parenting.  Our goal is not to have a 6 year old child who clings to our leg everywhere we go, as I think people often picture when they hear "attachment parenting."  Even I was totally turned off when I first heard about this.  And I will admit I've lacked courage in letting people know this is what we're trying to do.  But how can I be ashamed of trying to love and provide security for my baby? 

Ultimately, we understand that there are many ways to parent and there is no right or wrong in parenting, as long as you're motivated by free, total, unconditional love!

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/attachment-parenting/what-ap-7-baby-bs

1 comment:

  1. I've been reading dr. Sears' "baby book" and I really like his ideas on attachment parenting too! We should talk! :)

    ReplyDelete